Piper & Leaf Artisan Tea
With winter not giving fall too much time to show it’s splendor and wave its last colourful goodbye, we’re finding ourselves hidden under cozy blankets, with candles lit and mugs full a little sooner in the year than expected- but don’t get us wrong, there is no complaining happening here!
This week we wanted to share the story of Piper & Leaf Artisan Tea Co. – a family run business based out of Northern Alabama who is known for their simply divine gourmet tea blends containing nothing but local ingredients straight from their garden, farm, forest and briar patch!
The Story of Piper & Leaf Artisan Tea Co.
The story starts with Physical Therapist Dr. Connor Knapp, a free-spirited, traveler giving up his endless exploration, and moving home with hopes of making a difference in his Huntsville community, particularly in farmers’ markets.
Connor’s sister Brigette and husband Caleb were entrepreneurial in their own regard, with many small business ventures including a lawn care business of their own, listening to this whole idea of exploring farmers markets gave them an idea -they would sell compost and compost tea. What started with Caleb mixing teas using nothing but items from his garden and serving them up in mason jars has turned into a successful lucrative business!
So where does the name Piper & Leaf come from?
Well, the word “piper” is an old English term for a singing kettle, which is also where the phrase “piping hot” comes from. Leaf, of course, symbolizes the tea leaves and the herbs used in the teas. The image of the samovar- a highly decorated tea urn used in Russia goes back to the roots of the original business name – Samovar Gardens.
Piper & Leaf Blends available at Anna’s Garden, Home & Wellness: A variety of non-caffeinated and caffeinated
- Briar Patch Brew: Hibiscus, Blueberries, Blackberries, Elderberries, Currants, Sage, Lemongrass
- Capri Cream: Milk Oolong Tea, Apples, Pineapple, Persimmons, Orange Rind, Lemon Rind, Chamomile, Lime Leaves, Spearmint, Lemon Oil
- Caramel Apple Pie: Ceylon Black Tea, Apples, Cinnamon, Ginger, Orange Rind, Star Anise, Licorice, Cloves, Organic Caramel Flavor, Black Pepper
- Front Porch Special: Ceylon Black Tea, Jasmine, Cornflower, Assam Black Tea, Spearmint, Bergamot Oil
- Orchard Peach: Peaches, Apples, Pineapples, Papaya, Rosehips, Hibiscus, Rose Petals, Spearmint, Lemon Balm
- Pumpkin Moonshine: Ceylon Black Tea, Pumpkin, Ginger, Clove, Star Anise, Cinnamon, Orange Rind, Organic Natural Flavor, Calendula, Black Pepper
- Summertime Chai: Nilgiri Black Tea, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, Coriander, Dill Seed, Oregano, Fennel