Natural Bug Repellents
Summer is in full swing! Campfires + starry nights = time to pull out the bug spray.
Anna’s has you covered when it comes to keeping those pesky bugs at bay. Whether you’re enjoying summer evenings outside with company, sitting by a fire, going on a nature hike or camping in the woods, we’ve got some great ways to protect you from those painful bug bites.
There are so many bug sprays out there, but a lot of them are full of harmful chemicals and leave you choking and gasping for air. Anna’s offers some great natural alternatives that work great, smell great and are safe to use on the whole family, which makes packing for your adventures that much easier. Our No-Bite-Me cream is not only a bug repellent but works as an after-bite cream as well. This all-natural product is made with a unique blend of essential oils and keeps black flies, mosquitoes, fleas and ticks away. This wonderful dual-purpose product comes in a 2 oz. container for $14.99, and is paraben, alcohol and DEET free. Another all-natural product we carry and love is the deBug Body Spray and Body Oil by the rinse bath & body co. These two products come in a 4oz. spray bottle ($14.99 each) which makes for an easy and effortless application. These deBug sprays work best when used together, first, apply the oil onto your skin and rub in until absorbed, then spritz the deBug All Over Body Spray. The oil will stay on your skin longer but the body spray is a great way to quickly reapply since you don’t have to rub it in. The body spray can also be used as a linen spray, so this is ideal for spraying all over your clothes or blanket.
Plants not only look beautiful in our gardens and planters, but there are some varieties that you can incorporate into your backyard to help keep bugs away. We love taking full advantage of all the wonderful and helpful qualities that plants provide for us, so here are some great choices if you’re looking to help make evening hangouts on the deck a little more enjoyable.
5 Plants to Help Keep the Bugs Away:
1. Citronella Grass (Lemongrass): This grass contains the most commonly used ingredient in bug sprays and outdoor candles, and for good reason. Its scent keeps mosquitoes away, so plant this grass in planters and gardens near your entrances and sitting areas in your backyard. 2. Marigolds: These bright and hardy annuals are a great choice when it comes to repelling mosquitoes. Marigolds contain Pyrethrum, an ingredient found in many insect repellents, which bugs can’t stand.
3. Rosemary: A great plant that repels a variety of bugs that will not only bug you but your veggie plants as well. Plant Rosemary near your vegetable garden and in your planters and gardens to help keep those bothersome insects at bay.
4. Mint: Repels spiders, ants and mosquitoes – but be careful when planting mint as it spreads rapidly.
5. Lavender: We love the smell of this beautiful purple plant but Gnats and mosquitoes hate its scent, so plant it everywhere to make your backyard smell great and keep those bugs away.
If you love DIY’s and essential oils why not make your very own natural bug spray? Anna’s has a great selection of essential oils for all your diffusing and DIY needs. Here’s a great Bug Off spray we love making and using on summer nights
Bug Off Spray:
- 20 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops of Lemongrass essential oil
- 20 drops of Tea Tree essential oil
- Witch Hazel
- Distilled Water
- 8oz glass spray bottle
Add 20 drops of each essential oil to your spray bottle. Then fill your bottle ¾ of the way with distilled water and top off with Witch Hazel. Shake and spray on your skin and clothes.
**substitute Peppermint oil with Lavender oil if you’re planning to use on kids under the age of 3**
We love that purchasing a bottle of essential oil offers so many different possibilities, not only with diffusing blends but with the endless DIY’s. We also love that one small bottle of essential oil can make more than one bottle of bug spray!
If you plan on sitting outside under the stars on your own or with friends, why not plug in your diffuser outside on the deck and diffuse a bug repelling blend?
Bug Be-Gone Blend:
- 5 Lavender essential oil
- 3 Geranium essential oil
- 2 Patchouli
- 6 Lavender essential oil
Adult Bug Blend:
- 3 Peppermint essential oil
- 3 Lavender essential oil
- 3 Lemongrass essential oil
Cozy Nights Blend:
- 3 Clove essential oil
- 3 Cinnamon essential oil
- 3 Lemon essential oil
- 3 Orange essential oil
We hope you’re able to get out and experience some beautiful summer nights these next couple of months. Don’t forget to incorporate some of these natural bug repelling products and plants to make your time spent outside even more enjoyable!