Essential Oil of the Month: Peppermint
This month we’ll be talking about peppermint essential oil.
Peppermint oil has a fresh, distinctive aroma that is both invigorating and soothing. For centuries this oil has been known to aid in digestion but is also known for relieving tension and freshening your breath.
As you may have guessed, peppermint belongs to the mint family. It is a perennial herb, a natural hybrid of spearmint and water mint. This oil is capable of cooling, soothing and cleaning.
Fun Fact: It takes 1 pound of raw peppermint to make one 15ml bottle of peppermint essential oil.
This versatile oil offers countless benefits. With menthol being the main component studies have found that peppermint oil helps with; bacterial infection, digestion, inflammation, fatigue, muscle soreness, congestion, allergies and headaches.
Peppermint oil is safe for most users but should be used with a carrier oil, like fractioned coconut oil, when applying topically on your skin. Peppermint essential oil should not be used on or diffused around children under the age of 5.
10 uses for Peppermint Essential Oil:
1. Calm Heartburn: In the palm of your hand, add a few drops of carrier oil (coconut oil or olive oil), then simply add 1 drop of peppermint oil and 1 drop of lemon oil. Rub your hands together and apply mixture where you feel the heartburn.
2. Stuffy Nose Be-Gone: this oil is also great for treating many cold symptoms, like mucus congestion, due to it’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Diffuse peppermint oil throughout your house to help reduce bacteria in the air and help clear that congestion.
3. Homemade Vicks Rub: Make your own all-natural Vicks rub using 3 ingredients: 1 cup of coconut oil, 20 drops peppermint oil and 20 drops eucalyptus oil.
4. Soothe Headaches: Make a roller with 10 drops peppermint, 6 drops lavender, 5 drops frankincense and top up with fractioned coconut oil. Roll onto temples and across the forehead to get relief from those throbbing headaches. If you haven’t made a roller, add a few drops of carrier oil and 1 drop of peppermint directly in your hands, rub together and apply to temples, forehead, neck and shoulders. We’ve been giving this a try the last few months and so far haven’t had to reach for the Tylenol. We also love that it smells like a peppermint patty!
5. Stress Eraser: Add a few drops of peppermint oil into your bath water for a soothing bath experience. You can also give your Epsom salts a little boost by adding 10-20 drops of peppermint oil and store in an airtight container. This will be perfect for soaking those sore muscles. 6. Clean Naturally: Add peppermint to your DIY all-purpose spray to make it smell great, repel bugs, and combat those germs and bacteria. In an empty spray bottle, add: 1 ½ cups distilled water1 tbsp Castile soap, 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil.
7. All Natural Bug Spray: Many bugs, like mosquitoes, beetles, flies, fleas and ants dislike the smell of peppermint. Use this oil, along with some others, to make your very own all-natural bug spray – stay tuned for a blog post all about repelling those nasty bugs!
8. Relieve Sunburns: Summer brings long days outside playing and working and even though we all try out best to protect our skin with sunscreen, at some point we may experience a little sunburn. Peppermint oil’s cooling and anti-inflammatory properties make for a great sunburn remedy. Combine 2 drops of peppermint oil with a carrier oil and rub on affected areas.
9. Curb Cravings: Diffuse peppermint before mealtime to help reduce your appetite or ease cravings.
10. Focus: Diffuse peppermint before study time or homework time to help improve concentration and get that work done! Diffusing peppermint oil not only smells delicious, but this invigorating scent also aids in perking you up to get things done and clears your sinuses during that dreaded allergy and cold seasons. Here are some diffuser blends we are loving that feature that oh so lovely peppermint oil.
Immunity Boost Blend
Happy Day Blend
Ocean Air Blend
Sinus Release Blend
We have loved learning and sharing about essential oils these past few months and we hope you have too! Essential oils have so many wonderful properties and uses and we love that they not only smell great but they allow us to make so many wonderful natural, toxin-free products to use in our home and around our family. What is your favourite oil?