A plant that has been on our wish list for a while has finally arrived here at Anna’s! The Begonia Maculata or as many people call it, the Polka Dot begonia is a stunning head-turner that is adored for its olive-green leaves, contrasting silvery-white spots and crimson-coloured undersides.
Native to the tropical forests of Brazil, this angel-winged cane begonia needs warmth, filtered bright light and consistent moisture. Being a cane begonia, the thick stems hold a bit of water so it is important not to overwater. The overall caring for Begonia Maculata is pretty easy except for its fussiness when it comes to humidity. When choosing a spot for your Maculata, a steamy environment that can mimic their native habitat will yield the best results.
Care & Maintenance for Begonia Maculata:
- Light: Bright, indirect light. Higher light levels will promote strong growth and blooms, but avoid direct sunlight.
- Water: Keep the soil moist, letting the top half-inch of the soil dry out between watering.
- Fertilizer: Balanced water-soluble fertilizer 2-4 weeks when the plant is actively growing.
- Humidity & Temperature: High humidity is important for plants happiness (>45% ideally). Happiest in 65°F (18°C) – 86°F (30°C).
- Maintenance: Prune back at least twice per year to maintain compact growth.
- Blooming: Your begonia may produce clusters of white flowers from spring to fall. Repot annually in the spring to help promote growth.
- Toxicity: Toxic to pets and people if ingested.