If you’re hoping to maintain a tropical summer feel in your garden as we transition to fall, then look no further than the Perennial (Hardy) Hibiscus. These giant, plate-sized blooms are a great addition to attract butterflies and hummingbirds to your garden oasis.
When deciding on the ideal location for your Perennial Hibiscus, find a spot that receives at least 6- 8 hours of direct sunlight a day. Perennial Hibiscus will grow 3 to 6 feet tall and wide, so be sure to leave plenty of room in your garden.
Perennial Hibiscus does best in moist, well-drained soil- if your garden doesn’t allow for these conditions, ensure your plant is adequately watered and mulched. Deadhead spent blooms and cut stems back 3-4” in late Autumn. In the Spring, when you notice new growth, fertilize regularly throughout the season with an all-purpose 20-20-20 solution.
Perennial Hibiscus bloom in a variety of bright Pink, Red and White hues! They are a fast grower that may make an appearance in the Spring but likely won’t be in full bloom until August. Your garden can maintain its Summer flair even when cool Fall temperatures arrive! Incorporate Perennial Hibiscus into your garden to enjoy for years to come!
Here at Anna’s we carry an assortment of Perennial Hibiscus
Perennial Hibiscus Care:
- Attracts: Butterflies & Hummingbirds
- Sun: Full sun to partial shade
- Bloom Time: Mid Summer to Early Fall
- Fertilizer: Hibiscus plants use relatively large quantities of N and K and far less P. At planting time and annually as new growth begins in spring, fertilizer with an analysis like 10-10-10 will provide a balanced startup feeding. For regular feeding, choose a plant food with a fertilizer analysis like 12-4-8 or 17-5-24.
- Size: 3-5′ tall } 4-5' spread
- Soil: Moist and well-drained soil