Chicken Soup for the Soul ... and for the sinuses
I usually begin the blog process with an early morning coffee and a brainstorming session. What to write about this week? However, if I’m being honest, the blog is the last thing on my mind this week as I attempt to nurse my family and myself back to good health. We’ve been down and out all week with whichever version of a flu is going around now. And that right there is where I find my inspiration!
Maybe a good batch of homemade soup will be just the answer I’m looking for!
Whether we’re feeling under the weather, or in perfect health, our family loves a nice hot bowl of soup to warm the soul. And, as soups are a challenge to burn or overcook, this is a meal I can usually pull off! It also aids in the never ending debacle of what to pack in the kids lunch. (If you know, you know 😉)
So I thought I’d share with you our favourite easy homemade chicken noodle soup. I use the instant pot for this, but you could easily increase the cook times and make this in a Dutch oven over the stove.
Assorted 4" Herbs $2.99
I'm going to begin by making bone broth. This is a step I don't always do, but since we've all been under the weather, we could really use the extra nutrients. Bone broth is rich in nutrients and collagen, plus it aids in digestion and is an all around great immune booster!
-1 lb carcass ( I will be using chicken bones)
- 2 onions (roughly chopped)
- 3 celery stalks ( roughly chopped)
- 3 carrots (roughly chopped)
- star anise
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (the acidity helps break down the collagen in the bones and transfers it to the broth)
- water ( enough to fill)
Put all of the ingredients in the instant pot in the same order as listed above. Close the lid and press the 'soup/broth' button. This should program it for 4 hours. I like to make a big batch of this in advance and freeze portions for later use.
Once the time is up, pour over a siv and into a bowl and you have your broth!
I will use this as the base for my soup now! We could simply drink the broth, but there's no way my kids will do that. Plus I want to get a meal out of this. So now, let's build the soup!
Chicken Noodle Soup
- bone broth
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 2 onions (diced)
- 2 celery stalks (diced)
- 1 cup cooked shredded/diced chicken (I'm cheating and using a rotisserie chicken from Zehrs. Remember, I said this recipe is easy)
- 1 cup noodles ( I like to use extra fine egg noodles)
1. To start, chop the onions, carrots and celery. Add some oil to the instant pot and put it on Sauté mode. Once it's hot add in the mirepoix. I like to give the veggies a bit of caramelization first, I find it adds so much more flavour than simply boiling them in the broth (at least, that's what my chef husband tells me 😉).
2. Once the onions are translucent & veggies are soft, I add in the bone broth and meat and season to taste. Switch the mode to slow cook and let it simmer away for as long as you like! I add in my skinny egg noodles about 5-8 mins before serving, and that's it! Easy peasy & super delicious!
My whole family loves this recipe any time of year, but especially when we are feeling a little under the weather.
This essential oil immunity pack from Sparoom was a big help too. The shower spray is a game changer. It really helped clear me out and energize me for the day. And we've been running the immunity shield oil in the diffuser all week. It has a really nice herbal, citrus & eucalyptus scent.
Now that we're all out from the bubble we've been in for the past two years, our immune systems have a big job to do. Being sick is never fun, but I think our bodies needed to get back into the game! And now, with my immune boost oils, lemon ginger tea and big ol' batch of bone broth, I'll be ready the next time the flu hits this household.
But, let's hope it's not too soon.
Until next week, stay healthy!