Family Time: March Break + Plant-Based Recipes
There is something about March Break that makes you want to go on a big family vacation. Since most of us can not get the time off work to travel or are unable to spend money on an expensive getaway, fear not! You don’t have to take a big trip and spend all your savings on March Break to make wonderful memories with your children that will last a lifetime.
We are spending March Break at home this year. I like to make a list of things we can do, print it off and place it on the fridge. I let my kids decide one or two special things we can do each day to keep them from being bored and still make memories. This way our March Break feels meaningful and fun.
March Break ideas:
- play board games (we like monopoly)
- go for a walk
- bake cookies
- “minute to win it” challenges
- play tag
- watch a family movie (with popcorn)
- play dress-up with clothes in mom or dad’s closet
- put on a play
- go ice-skating
- eat dinner on the floor (an indoor picnic)
- go for a bike ride
- camp in the living room
- visit Anna’s and buy a plant for your child to care for in their room
- make homemade pizza
- visit Point Pelee or Fort Malden
- make an obstacle course
- watch old family videos
- build a Lego set
- make a blanket fort
- find some boxes and create something cool – a fort, a robot, a kitty house etc.
- go to the park
- visit the library
- go to a bakery and pick a special cupcake.
There is something wonderful about March when the greenhouses at Anna’s open again. I know for me personally, the last couple of years I’ve been trying to do my best to support local businesses. The food is always fresher and it’s nice to know where your food is coming from. At Anna’s, we have a wonderful selection of seasonal fruits and vegetables – all grown locally in Essex County. Right now, we have tomatoes, cucumbers & lettuce, etc.
We also have lots of different foods in our pantry! Local honey, salad dressing, bruschetta and so much more !!
Peanut butter banana chia seed smoothies are my favourite and they are so easy to make! I drink one almost every day!
- 1 1/2cup milk
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds (from Anna’s)
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter chocolate protein powder (from Anna’s)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen banana!!
Blend and enjoy!!! It is that easy! Sometimes I’ll even add an extra half of a banana so it’s like ice cream without the guilt.
When you are looking for something sweet and salty or fresh and crunchy, come check out our farmers market at Anna’s. Buying fresh local food is good for everyone!