Calathea Lancifolia: Rattlesnake Plant
A pattern lover’s dream plant, the Calathea Lancifolia, is admired for its deep-hued foliage of dark green and rich purple underside elongated leaves. However, it’s their alternating oval striping and wavy leaves that make the Rattlesnake plant one of the most popular Calatheas in the houseplant market!
Native to Brazil rainforests Calathea Lancifolia are happiest in warm and humid environments. Considered to be a closely-related member of the ‘prayer-plant’ family- Maranta, they will move their leaves towards the sky at nighttime and lower them in the daytime, following the sun’s movement to soak up as much sunlight as they possibly can.
The perfect houseplant, Calathea Lancifolia, adds a tropical wildness to any space!
Care & Maintenance for Calathea Lancifolia:
- Light: Bright, indirect light
- Water: Keep soil consistently moist but not overly wet. Water a small amount regularly when the top 1″ feels dry. Ensure adequate drainage.
- Fertilizer: Water-soluble 20-20-20 every two weeks during the growing season. Do not fertilize during the winter months.
- Maintenance: Thrives in high humidity. Keep at a consistent temperature. Remove old foliage to promote new growth.
- Growth: 12″ – 30″ Tall & 12″ – 24″ wide