Balzacs Coffee Roasters
Amidst the hustle and bustle of December's festive whirlwind, finding moments of tranquility becomes a cherished necessity. During the holiday rush, we've made it a point to infuse a bit of slowness into our morning, afternoon and evening routines, savouring a quiet moment before the world fully awakens. It's a time for reflection, a pause to consider the lessons this season imparts and to express gratitude for the blessings in our lives. Watching the sun rise, brewing a cup of coffee, and acknowledging the beauty each life season brings – these are the simple rituals that ground us.
This week, we're excited to shine a spotlight on Balzac’s Coffee, a distinctive Canadian coffee company celebrated for its artisan beans and a network of 14 coffee shop locations spread across Ontario.
The narrative behind Balzac's Coffee is steeped in the lore of Honoré de Balzac, the renowned French novelist and playwright. Fuelled by copious amounts of black coffee during his sleepless nights of literary creation, Balzac famously declared, "the café is the people’s parliament." This sentiment encapsulates the ethos of Balzac’s Coffee Roasters.
Diana Olsen, the president, and founder of Balzac's Coffee, pursued a university degree in French literature, finding a kindred spirit in Monsieur Balzac and his profound love for coffee. Drawing inspiration from coffee shop experiences in France, Diana continued her journey to San Francisco. There, she honed her skills in coffee roasting and bean selection at the West Coast Specialty Coffee Training Institute.
In 2011, Diana Olsen took the stage on CBC Television’s renowned show, The Dragon’s Den, seeking strategic investors to propel the growth of Balzac’s Coffee. Her successful pitch garnered investments from Arelene Dickinson and Bruce Croxon, enabling the expansion of the company with new Reference Library and Ryerson cafe locations, setting the stage for continued growth.
A legendary, female-founded business story we LOVE! Check out our Whole Bean Balzac’s Coffee Bean Selection Available at Anna’s:
Bard's Blend: Dark & Lush | Dark Roast (Beans)
Origin: Ethiopia, Colombia
- Inspired by the the works of William Shakespeare, this thrilling blend tells a mighty tale with every sip and ends with a dramatic finish.
Balzac’s Blend: Bold & Balanced | Marble Roast (Beans & Capsules)
Origin: Sumatra, Costa Rica, Guatemala
- Based on Honoré de Balzac’s own blend. Bold, rounded and generous — a gutsy cup. Careful: You might end up writing about it.
Farmer’s Blend: Bright & Complex | Marble Roast (Beans)
Origin: Peru, Mexico, Colombia
- Hearty, country morning brisk, with a clean acidity — a Stratford favourite!
Swiss Water Decaf: Dark & Daring | Stout Roast (Beans & Ground)
Origin: Colombia, Sumatra
- Swiss Water Decaf is a blend of Colombian and Sumatran beans, processed in the 100% chemical free method of Swiss Water.
Espresso: Velvety Smooth | Amber Roast (Beans)
Origin: Mexico, Peru
- Adhering to European traditions, Balzac’s version of this premium blend yields a deep, rich crema.
A Dark Affair: Smokey & Spicy | Stout Roast (Capsules)
Origin: Colombia, Honduras
- This full-bodied blend boasts a rich and vibrant taste to satisfy your darkest pleasures.